LCA’s one-to-one laptop program advances its educational mission by enhancing our students’ experience of discovery, connection, and collaboration in new and exciting ways. Our student’s benefit from a curriculum designed to effectively use technology to transform student learning. They use their devices to create, communicate, and collaborate while striving to become wise digital citizens.
New laptops will be distributed to grade 7 and 10 students following engagement in an information session and the completion of the student user agreement.
Why does LCA have a laptop program?
Among the many reasons to have a single device program, we are excited about the following:
- Enhancing student engagement and learning in the classroom through curriculum designed to use technology.
- Fostering digital citizenship related to the appropriate use of technology.
- Embracing our digital learners.
- Preparing students for success in college and careers.
- Ensuring a consistent learning experience.
- Offering a program with the best device based on educational research.
How is the laptop insured?
- The device is covered by a 3 year warranty against defects and battery deterioration.
- The device is insured against accidental loss and accidental damage. Accidental is determined by the ‘was it foreseeable by a reasonable person’ test.
- Repair and replacement costs that are the result of intentional acts, negligence, or misuse are at the cost of the parents.
- Spills are considered to be avoidable and are damage coming from misuse.
- The first accidental damage claim will have no deductible; however, the next claim will have a deductible of $150. Any subsequent claim will be an additional $150 each time (second claim $300, third claim $450).
- All replacement claims from a lost or stolen device will have a deductible of $150, and the full cost for all claims thereafter, regardless of whether deemed accidental or not. A device is considered lost after 7 days. At this point, LCA will purchase a new device.
An individually purchased spills and breaks warranty is available for each laptop upon parent request. Please contact our Director of Educational Technology to make use of this service.
Are students able to get their textbooks online?
When available, we provide electronic textbooks to students. This is covered in your textbook fee. Access will be granted by teachers during the first week of school, where available. Traditional textbooks will also be used in class as applicable.
How do students use their laptop?
Students are expected to bring their fully charged laptop to school each day so they can use their device for the following:
- Homework (flipped classroom model)
- Access to curriculum specific tools, such as Sibelius for Music students and drawing and graphics software
- Connections with devices such as graphics calculators
- Classroom interaction
- Electronic textbooks when available
What are the costs of this program?
The technology fee remains constant at $625 per year and has been rolled into your tuition charge.
Are there additional costs for parents?
The only other costs are home office set-up, additional peripherals such as a cordless mouse and a required carry case that fully encloses the device.
An individually purchased spills and breaks warranty is available for each laptop at the parent's request. Please contact our Director of Educational Technology to make use of this service.
Who can I reach out to with questions about the laptop program?